Softcap is a term describing the effect of a skill on the quality of a product.
Softcaps are put into effect when the quality of a product would be higher then the softcapping skill. The quality of said product will then be averaged with the softcapping skill level to get the actual final quality. The softcapping skill may be a single attribute or skill value or a combination of a number of them. If the resulting quality of the product is lower than the softcapping skill, the quality will remain unchanged.
Note: Quality of built objects is solely determined by the quality of their parts, nothing caps it.
- You are creating a Treeplanter's pot with clay of average quality 36. However, the quality of a Treeplanter's pot is softcapped by Dexterity.
- If your Dexterity >= 36
- Resulting pot will be Q 36
- If you Dexterity is < 36
- Resulting pot will be Q (36 + Dex) /2
- For example, Anastasia has two low quality pieces of Leather(q13) and five low quality pieces of String(Stinging Nettle q18, Stinging Nettle q18, Spindly Taproot 9q, Spindly Taproot 13q, and Spindly Taproot 15q). The average quality of the leather is 13, and the average quality of the String will be 14(14.6, rounded down to 14). The potential maximum quality of her Sling will be 13(13.5 average of leather and string, rounded down to 13).
- If Anastasia's Survival is 13 or higher, then her final produced Sling will have a quality of 13, the maximum quality possible from the material used.
- However, if Anastasia's Survival is lower, then her final produced Sling will be the average of her Survival and the potential maximum quality of her Sling. If her Survival is 10, then the final Sling quality will be 10 plus 13, divided by two: 11.5, rounded down to 11. So her final produced Sling will have quality 11.