|Size||1 x 1|
|Storage Size||6 x 8|
|Skill(s) Required||Animal Husbandry|
|Object(s) Required||Stone x25, Board x10, Block of Wood x10, Thatching Material x10, Rope x2, Bone Glue x2|
|Required By||Rock Dove Egg, Rock Dove Squab|
|Can be Lifted||No|
|Go to Objects|
|uild > uildings & Construction > Houses & uildings > ovecote|
After building a Dovecote, wild Rock Doves will begin flocking to it so long as it is filled with fodder and water. If a Rock Dove Egg hatches inside of the Dovecote, it will then hatch into a Domesticated Rock Dove, which you can then place into your Birdhouse and Homestead it. Once the bird is Homesteaded to a Birdhouse, it will always return to said structure once release. Doves will not reproduce inside of a Birdhouse.
Doves will be attracted to Dovecotes with a plentiful supply of food, water, and space and will be discouraged from staying in Dovecotes which are overcrowded or often raided for birds and eggs.
Attending to occupied Dovecotes for prolonged periods of time may incur HHP damage in the form of Bird Lung, which incurs a -5AGI/CON penalty and slowly heals over time.
Uses for Homesteaded Doves
Domesticated Doves may be given any single item, allowing a Hearthling to transport an item easily between any location and the Birdhouse which the dove is currently Homesteaded to.
Caring for your Birds
Rock Doves require feeding and watering and Dovecotes have space inside for this. To fill them, have fodder material (listed below) in your inventory, then lift it up with a left-click and right-click on the coop. This will fill the fodder bar a bit. You will not be able to recover any seed or plants used in this manner. Fodder and water each fill up their own meter inside the coop. As the doves eat, the amounts that will be diminished are proportionate to the number of doves contained therein.
Plants that could be used as fodder:
(This list is not complete.)
- Any Seeds
- Beetroot Leaves
- Giant Pumpkin
- Poppy Flower
- Pumpkin Flesh
Dovecotes can hold a maximum of 30.00(L) of water.
How to Acquire
A Dovecote can be built, generally on a 1x1 paved area.
- There is a trick to filling a Dovecote much more quickly than normal. Click to pick up a unit of food, then with it floating on your cursor, hold down the shift key and right click the trough. As long as you keep the shift key held down, another unit of food from your inventory will automatically be placed on your cursor, ready to right click again!
- Warning: Edible forageables, like for example, Candleberry or Bloated Bolete also count as fodder, so be careful when shift-right clicking as you will loose them.
- Any fodder placed in Dovecote will turn into generic Swill.
- Swill can be taken out by right-clicking Coop with Bucket, Barrel, or Trough and transferred freely between all of them.
- Water can be taken out of coop with an empty bucket or barrel if it has no swill in it, or if the coop is fully filled with water and the bucket or barrel also (still) contains some water.
- Added in update .
- Domestic rock doves placed in a dovecote do not stay.