Ring of Brodgar:Community Portal
Welcome to Ring of Brodgar! The Community Portal is where this wiki community comes together to organize and discuss projects for the wiki. To see the most recent discussions, click the Discussion tab above.
- 1 General Wiki stuff
- 2 General Game stuff
General Wiki stuff
How to help out
- To follow the changes to this wiki, and to look out for new users and edits use recent changes.
- You can find a list of useful templates on Category:Templates, some of which are documented on Ring of Brodgar:Templates.
- If you need help editing, you could start with Help:Editing.
Want to discuss stuff?
- If you want to discuss anything specific to an article, you can use the "Discussion" page for that article.
- For more general discussions you can use the Discussion tab of this page, or a Forum if the forums have been set up.
Things to do
(See Special:SpecialPagesfor more special pages.)
Some other interesting pages
- Want to find out what you've done so far? Visit your contributions page.
- Find out more about the wiki on Special:Statistics and Special:Version!
General wiki tips
- Symptom: Changes in one section of the wiki not showing up in another section of the wiki.
- As most of the time this is browser cache issue, the first thing to try is to bypass the browser cache.
- This is in general done by hitting, Windows:refreshyourcache + , Mac/Apple: + , Linux: . Ref:
- If its not a browser cache issue (example: link) your next option is to force a wiki cache update.
- A wiki cache update on a specific page is done by opening that page in edit mode and just saving it without any changes.
- Cumbersome large wiki-table editing:
- bitbucket.org/JanKanis/wiki2csv might be a option. Its a little python(v2) wiki2csv and csv2wiki converter. Usable in conjunction with any spreadsheet that handles csv files.
- Small, hard to read wiki formula:
- Clicking on the formula will popup a bigger version of it. (EditMode: having a leading empty line before the math line will display the formula a bit larger.)
General Game stuff
Social content, wars, conflicts etc.?
I feel like the game, and the wiki, would be a lot better if we started documenting conflicts, large villages, and alliances in the style of wikipedia country pages (albeit simplified) and conflict pages (also simplified). I'd be willing to write these article as the social aspect of the game is important, if not the most important aspect of the game.
I know there's been an unspoken rule against doing so on this wiki and the one before it, but I don't really see why good articles with proper citations should be blocked if they document in game social events. User:Monkeytofu
- This is a recurring idea. Reason for it not being accepted is that it was implemented once and caused flame wars akin to the ones on H&H forum, requiring way more than reasonable amount of administration. --Rook (talk) 21:05, 11 October 2013 (EDT)
It would be good if the cite extension was added. --ArvinJA 20:14, 29 December 2011 (EST)
- Some extension allowing for full case-insensitive (title) wiki searching.
- Some extension, or way, to block redirect page titles showing up in the search auto-complete box. (although currently it seems editing the wiki code is the only way for this.)
- Extension:CategoryTree (April 2014)
I propose a new category: Game Mechanics as to list pages such as Discovery and Death and a few other pages that are currently uncategorized. I don't know how to properly link to that page. This would be a good way to introduce a new player to the game and its many mechanics. I'd also like new editors to look at the SpecialPages and work on what is there as I love organization for some reason. --Deadguy60 06:27, 21 May 2012 (EDT)
I suppose that all pages relating to the game itself should be in Category:Content. There could possibly a category for things where a formula isn't exactly known but I could guess those pages are few. Only thing that could be related that I can think of is fishing. Not important enough for someone to care enough to research more about it. --Deadguy60 19:50, 23 May 2012 (EDT)
- Formula category: mmm ... maybe. --MvGulik 10:30, 24 May 2012 (EDT)
Problems with the cat captcha
Apparently some users are having some trouble with the select-the-cats captcha and I'm wondering if it's a firefox problem or a wiki problem. Causes trouble when citing sources. --Deadguy60 (talk) 21:03, 2 September 2013 (EDT)
- I'm not aware of any captcha complaints or problems, although I'm sure there are some. One simple workaround that should work here is to post links without the leading http:// part (or drop a space after the http:// part). There might be a minimum contribution count that stops putting up captcha's on posting links, but I'm not aware of that. --.MvGulik. 04:09, 3 September 2013 (EDT)
- It's a browser problem not captcha's or wikis, but not exclusive to firefox either. I haven't realy looked into it but i think it's simply compatibility issue with older browsers, whatever manufacturer, not interpreting data 100% as per current html standards. --Rook (talk) 04:21, 3 September 2013 (EDT)
Currently HnH RoB wiki is not made with mobile devices in mind. Something that probably also won't change. But ... for those interested in how RoB wiki looks on mobile devices. On this webdesignerdepot page there are a number of mobile emulators that can be used to take a peek.