|Size||1 x 1|
|Required By||Clay Pipe, Crucible, Crude Idol, Kiln, Mug, Potter's Wheel, Tar Kiln, Teapot, Unfired Clay Jar, Unfired Garden Pot, Unfired Pot, Unfired Treeplanter's Pot, Unfired Urn, Wilderness Beacon|
|Go to Objects|
Clay is a core ingredient for Pottery. The quality of the products made by the clay is based upon the quality of the clay, the kiln used, and the branches provided to fuel the kiln; it is also softcapped by the dexterity of the pottery crafter, and sometimes by a second skill (except for structures, which are never softcapped). The quality of the clay is dictated by the quality of the node it is collected from and is hardcapped by survival.
Clay has multiple types. Recipes and buildings which do not specify a type required will accept any of them, and multiple types may be used together for such recipes/buildings.
Clay types are as follows:
- Acre Clay - Dug up on Mudflats.
- Ball Clay - Dug up in the shallow water of rivers and lakes.
- Pit Clay - Harvested from Clay Pits.
- Bone Clay - Must be crafted
- Cave Clay - Appears in shallow water in caves
- Gray Clay - Appears in any shallow surface water
How to Acquire
Ball clay is obtained by digging in shallow water, whilst acre clay is obtained by digging on mudflats. Each tile of shallow water gives 1-5 pieces of ball clay. Acre clay can be dug like soil, the terrain deepening with each piece dug.
Unless there is a clay node present, the clay qualities will always be 10 (hardcapped by Survival). Each type of clay uses its own quality nodes[Verify].
Digging from a clay deposit can slowly reduce the quality of the point.([Verify] for hafen)
For more information on finding clay, see the Finding high quality water, clay, and soil page.
Tips & Tricks
- As digging clay consumes a lot of stamina, it's useful to make a disposable character gather clay for wall building or other needs where quality doesn't matter.