|Size||3 x 2.3|
|Storage Size||5 x 5|
|Skill(s) RequiredSpecific needed skills.<br>The default skills every hearthling starts off with, Oral Tradition, Primitive Tools & Wilderness Survival), are ignored.||Metal Working|
|Object(s) Required||Brick x35, Stone x10, Bar of Hard Metal x3|
|Required By||(11) Bar of Cast Iron, Bar of Copper, Bar of Lead, Bar of Meteoric Iron, Bar of Tin, Gold Nugget, Gold Pebbles, Quicksilver, Silver Nugget, Slag, Stone|
|Can be Lifted||No|
|Go to Objects|
The smelter is used to get metal bars and nuggets from any ore.
Metals other than iron can be extracted with Stack Furnace. Smelt Copper and Tin, alloy them into Bronze and use that to build an Ore Smelter. This is the "bootstrap" -way of unlocking ironworking. Alternatively you can simply acquire Hard Metal from other players (charity, trading, scavenging abandoned settlements with inactive claims.)
How to Use
Fill it with ore. The smelter can hold up to 25 pieces of ore. Fuel it with at least 12 pieces of charcoal or black coal by left-clicking the coal and right-clicking the ore smelter. Then light the smelter using a torch or other fire source. It takes 55 minutes to smelt a single load.
This formula is outdated since W13 [Verify]
The formula used to determine the outcome quality of the bars you receive from smelting ore is similar to the kiln.
- When filling with charcoal, hold shift while quickly right-clicking on the smelter (make sure you only have 12 charcoal in your inventory).
- The smelter takes 11.6 or so charcoal to burn, so if you are around when it finishes, you can add 12 more coal and new ore to avoid having to relight the smelter.
- With Mining Credo, Smelting ore use 9 charcoal(-25%). Credo's buff is applied directly to the ore, it will have "Well mined" line and only this exact ore piece will have reduced smelting time.
- Be sure to add enough fuel for the smelt as, unlike with the Kiln, if ending incomplete, the ores will reset to 0%.
- Person that builds smelter with 4 level of Blacksmith credo completed will make Ore Smelter with 6x6 inventory size. It will be marked with hammer sign on the smelter.
- Fixed the old fuel bug and removed the work-around for it. Ovens/smelters/&c. no longer reset their progress when burning out, rather each item therein tracks the average fuel quality it has seen while burning, and uses that upon completion." >"
- You can now light fire items (branches, torches, &c) from most ovens and other objects with open flames." >"