|uild > uildings & Construction > urnaces & Fireplaces > ireplace|
A fireplace is the direct upgrade of a fire. Like a fire, it can be used as a stationary light source and is required to roast Raw Meat and fry Fried Eggs and Pancakes. Unlike a fire though, it's permanent, and can be refueled with branches, blocks of wood and coal.
The fireplace also builds heat while burning, showing as smoldering ashes when fuel runs out. As long as it's hot (represented by the red bar besides the fuel gauge), it can be relit without needing another firebrand, you need simply to add more fuel, then right click it and use "Light My Fire". Because of this you only need to light one firebrand when you log on. To fully fill a fireplace needs only 2 blocks (or 10 branches or 5 pieces of coal), which will burn for roughly 3.5 hours - ~22 min per branch, allowing you to use a torch to light furnaces from it when you need it. Even if it goes out, it will remain hot for another couple of hours and can be easily relit.
Another feature is that you can place a Roasting Spit over it to spit roast any Clean Animal Carcass and Fish or Gridiron to cook Raw Meat and Bollocks. The inventory is where you should place the pitbaked goods, with 4 branches of fuel, to cook them.
Using a branch on a partially fueled fireplace will add it to the fireplace as fuel. When fully fueled and lit, using a branch on a fireplace will turn it into a firebrand. It can always be used to light a Torch, regardless of fuel level. It cannot be built inside houses.
How to Acquire
- The Roasting Spit handle will always be in the direction the Fireplace construction sign is facing; if you place the Fireplace facing down, the spit will place over it vertically.
- (Terrain) Can't be build on Ice.
- A fireplace takes 21 minutes and 55 seconds to build up 3 heat.
- (Winter) Although a fireplace can't be build on ice (unlike a fire). It will melt ice if placed near frozen water (same rough 5-tile-radius circle as with a fire).
Game Development (manual)
- Added ... (Start of W8, at least)
- While holding an item and right-clicking a container, you can now hold Alt to only take from the container, rather than first attempting to transfer to the container. Useful, for example, when you want to light a branch on a fireplace without first filling the fireplace up with fuel (e.g. branches)." >"
- Added variable materials to "Fireplace". ..." >"
- You can now light fire items (branches, torches, &c) from most ovens and other objects with open flames." >"
- You can now burn woodblocks and boards to produce ash in a kiln or fireplace." >"
- Added "Gridiron", the Gridiron is another addon akin to the Spitroast, which can be applied both to Braziers and Fireplaces. It has an inventory, and can, for now, be used primarily to passively roast meat." >"