Online / Offline
|Size||1 x 1|
|Skill(s) RequiredSpecific needed skills.<br>The default skills every Heartling starts off with, Oral Tradition, Primitive Tools & Wilderness Survival), are ignored.||Wilderness Survival|
|Object(s) Required||Branch x5, A Beautiful Dream!|
|Can be Lifted||No|
|Go to Objects|
|dventure > aven & Hearth > ight Hearth Fire|
A Hearth Fire provides a place for your character to appear when logging in (if the place you logged out in is not accessible) and is used as a destination for fast travel when in-game. The color of the Hearth Fire's flame denotes whether the owner of the fire is online or not (bright green = online, white/pale green = offline).
Travel to your Hearth Fire
|dventure > aven & Hearth > Travel to your earth Fire|
After a short hourglass, you will teleport to your Hearth Fire. Commonly referred to as "hearthing."
"Becoming knocked out now opens a small dialogue, giving you explicit choices on how to respond to the KO, with traveling to Hearth Fire being the pre-selected default." -jorb
Following things prevent you from "hearthing" whether you are capable or KO:
- Combat (Players are forced to drop combat with KO'd players, Certain animals can maintain combat and either deal some additional wounds or outright kill you.
- Being Red Handed
- Being inside a Dungeon
Hearthing seems to give flat 0.1 points of Travel Weariness when used. Being at 100% Travel Weariness doesn't prevent you from hearthing.
Additional tip for sailors
When sailing a ship and attacked by an another player you can't escape, drop the ship's slave key before being Knocked Out to prevent ship from being stolen.
All players can move through any Hearth Fire. (Unlike in early versions) Carts however can't move past them, and it has been reported that Wagons can become stuck in them, requiring Hearth Fire(s) to be moved (or destroyed in case of inactive characters) in order to salvage the wagon.
- Hearth fires are destructible. A Hearth Fire has 250 hitpoints and 5 Soak, therefore being hard or impossible to destroy with low-stat character. See "discussion" for details.
- You can destroy a Hearth Fire on your personal claim without leaving a scent.
- If you attempt to destroy a Hearth Fire that is not on your personal claim, then you will leave a Vile Vapor of Vandalism scent.
- Reincarnated characters start the game at their ancestor's Hearth Fire, if they inherit via the graveyard.
- If character had no HF or the wooden pile was destroyed, they will have to spawn randomly into the wilderness.
- Wilderness Beacon can be used in any case to override spawn to a desired location. (character creation room only)
- If you make a new Hearth Fire, the old one will become a pile of wood, ready to light into a fire for cooking.
- Hearth Fire emits the "skull-like smoke" -death animation the moment it's owner dies.
- Hearthing with no heartfire:
- Using "Travel to your Heart Fire" will not do anything. Including no feedback message.
- When transported to a new location, due to the last location being inaccessible, a new heartfire is created at that location.
- You should now be able to attack people standing inside their Hearth Fires. Reported here." >"
- You may now inspect a Hearth Fire to check when the owner last logged in." >"
- Disallowed building of Wilderness Beacons and Hearthfires if building them would imply a crime of vandalism, to prevent exploits. This is not the solution we'd like to use, but the actual fix is more involved." >"
- You can no longer bash Hearth fires on a claim while under a visitor debuff against that claim, as bashing a Hearth Fire now counts as a crime both against the claim and the owner of the Hearth. Reported here." >"
- Made it so that you need vandalism or claim to destroy other people's hearthfires." >"