A Stockpile is a compact storage for similar types of items, such as Stone and Soil. It can be created by left-clicking a compatible item in your inventory, then right clicking in the world to change that item into a place-able stockpile. Left clicking on the ground will place the stockpile where your mouse is.
Right clicking an existing stockpile will bring up a GUI showing how many items are in the stockpile currently, as well as the maximum amount that stockpile can hold. You cannot see which type of items are in the stockpile. For example, a Block of Wood stockpile will only show total number of blocks, NOT whether each block is Maple, Birch, etc.
Various stockpiles can hold varying amounts. For example, a soil stockpile can hold up to 250 items, while a Bark stockpile can only hold 30.
Stockpiles can also be utilized in various ways:
- A Soil stockpile placed on a Survey will be used in place of the hearthling's inventory, with dug soil being instead added to the stockpile, and soil taken from the stockpile to fill in places to raise. Stone can also be used in a similar fasion with the stone being used to fill the terrain. However, Soil will not be added to a Stone stockpile if placed on a Survey.
- If a stockpile is close enough to the hearthling while building an object, material will be taken from the stockpile for building. A building will only use stockpiles that are in a one tile radius. Even if a stockpile seems to be 2 tiles away, if atleast one pixel of that stockpile is in the radius, the materials will be used up. This radius also means stockpiles that are diagonally 1 tile away will still be used.
Note that for some stockpiles, more items can be stored in a single square. For example, only 25 bars of metal can be stored in a stockpile, but 64 bars of metal can be stored in a Cupboard. The Cupboard will also have the advantage that you can see at a glance which metals are available, and the qualities of each.
Should you use Destroy on a stockpile you will randomly scatter its contents onto the ground with every swing.
Keep in mind that stockpiles outside a claim will slowly decay. When decaying they spit out their contents the same as being destroyed. Soil stockpiles, when decaying, will spit out their Soil, which will raise the ground level if they were spat out onto bare dirt, or plowed ground or something similar.
Technical Note: (custom clients only)
Related to the footprint of stockpiles (see Template:Table/Stockpile). Some newer stockpiles have a tendency to not tile nicely when using there related :placegrid setting. But, considering where talking relative high :placegrid settings here (22+), it also a bit irrelevant.
|Stockpile Type (63)||Capacity||Accepts|
|Arrow||50||(Stone Arrow, Bone Arrow, Metal Arrow)|
|Bar of Any Metal||25||Bar of Any Metal (11)|
|Bark||30||(Treebark, Birch Bark, Tough Bark)|
|Beetroot||60||(Weird Beetroot, Beetroot)|
|Block of Wood||80||All types of Block of Wood|
|Board||30||All types of Board|
|Bone||40||All types of Bone Material (28)|
|Bough||40||All types of Bough (7)|
|Brick||80||All types of Brick|
|Cattails||35||(Cattail Fibres, Cattail Roots, Cattail Head)|
|Clay||80||All types of Clay (9)|
|Cloth||40||(Silk Cloth, Linen Cloth, Wool Cloth, Hemp Cloth, Leather Fabric, Mohair Cloth, Felt, Golden Cloth, Ermine Cloth)|
|Coal||100||(Coal, Black Coal)|
|Coins||50||Can contain 50 stacks of any coin (Ergo: 5000 coins max)|
|Feather||75||any Feather (12)|
|Fish||30||Any Fish (40)|
|Flax Fibre||45||(Flax Fibre)|
|Flower||35||All types of Flower (17)|
|Gemstone||25||All types of Gemstones (17)|
|Gingerbread||(missing)||(Gingerbread Heart, Gingerbread Man, Gingerbread Woman)|
|Head of Lettuce||35||(Head of Lettuce)|
|Hemp Fibre||45||(Hemp Fibre)|
|Hide||30||Any Raw Hides (38) and Prepared Animal Hides(38)|
|Hop Cones||60||(Unusually Large Hop Cone, Hop Cones)|
|Leather||45||(Leather, Hardened Leather)|
|Leaves||250||All types of Leaf (14)|
|Medlar||30||(Medlar, Yesteryear's Medlar)|
|Nugget of Any Metal||25||Nugget of Any Metal (12) (including Gold Egg)|
|Nuts||35||(Oak Acorn, Hazelnut, Chestnut, Walnut, Beech Nuts, King's Acorn, Almond, Withercorn, Carob Pod)|
|Odd Tuber||35||(Odd Tuber)|
|Onion||35||(Yellow Onion, Red Onion, Leek, Crying Red Onion, Crying Yellow Onion)|
|Ore||75||All types of Ore (18)|
|Pear||30||(Pear, Yesteryear's Pear)|
|Persimmon||30||(Persimmon, Yesteryear's Persimmon)|
|Petrified Seashell||35||(Petrified Seashell)|
|Plum||30||(Plum, Yesteryear's Plum)|
|Quince||30||(Quince, Yesteryear's Quince)|
|Red Apple||30||(Red Apple, Yesteryear's Red Apple)|
|River Pearl Mussel||50||(River Pearl Mussel)|
|Round Clam||50||(Round Clam)|
|Skull||20||(Hearthling Skull, Underdeveloped Hearthling Skull)|
|Soil||250||(Earthworm, Soil, Mulch, Peat)|
|Sorb Apple||30||(Sorb Apple, Yesteryear's Sorb Apple)|
|Stone||70||Any Stone, including Ores. (67)|
|Trash||80||(Intestines, Red Apple Core, Pumpkin Flesh, Ashes, Entrails, Pear Core, Quince Core, Sorb Apple Core)|
Stockpile property data
- Hat Placement (2022-11-04) >"Increased metal nugget stockpile size from 25 to 35."
- Camping Shovel (2022-08-17) >"Added a stockpile for "Reeds"."
- Bull Ram (2022-03-20) >"Can place and take items at the bottom of a stockpile by holding Ctrl-Shift when using the mousewheel to transfer items."
- Raft Notified (2022-01-23) >"Added "Sorb Apple" stockpile."
- Possessed Purse (2021-06-13) >"You can now place stockpiles with "Rummaging" permissions, rather than requiring "Vandalism", as was previously the case. Report any problems."
- Merry Gingerbread! (2020-12-20) >"Added: Gingerbread stockpile."
- Frozen Mushroom (2020-03-22) >"Smashing stockpiles no longer destroys their content, but rather scatters it to the ground."
- Petrified Reindeer (2018-10-01) >"Added stockpiles for everything, infinite capacity... or at least for Petrified Seashells."
- Potter's Ribeye (2018-01-11) >"Added, with infinite capacity, stockpiles for everything... or at least for 50 mussels."
- Dust & Mud (2016-09-27) >"Added Rope stockpile."
- My Kind of Patch (2016-05-03) >"Added a sand stockpile, as recently suggested here."
- Colorful Troll (2016-03-10) >"Added Wool stockpile"
- My Horse is Amazing (2016-03-02) >"Added Bark Stockpile"
- A Touch of Death (2016-01-07) >"Added Grape stockpile."
- A Touch of Death (2016-01-07) >"Shift+Right-Clicking a stockpile now draws items from the stockpile until the player inventory is full, rather than just drawing one unit."
- Leather Feather (2015-12-03) >"Added a stockpile for feathers."
- Leather Feather (2015-12-03) >"Added a stockpile for leather, and for that purpose a common type for leather and hardened leather called any leather."
- Apperances of Fix (2015-12-01) >"Added coin stockpile."
- Leniency Central (2015-11-03) >"Added Cloth stockpile"
- Lettuce Imagine (2015-10-20) >"Beetroot leaves now use leaf stockpile, rather than trash."
- Leeching Dry (2015-09-08) >"Added Bough stockpile"
- Without Batting an Eye (2015-09-03) >"Added a stockpile for hides. Takes both raw and prepared."